Tuesday, December 18, 2007

1968 Mercury Cougar

1968 Mercury Cougar - a.k.a. "Jack"

I purchased this Mercury Cougar on July 7, 2007 at the Mustang Corral in Edwardsville, IL. This is my first project car since my 1968 Chevrolet Camaro convertible was sold almost 10 years ago. This body style has always been a favorite of mine since our next door neighbor used to have a '67 Cougar that he purchased new. Ironically the car I have now was bought at the same dealership in St. Louis, MO - Stivers Lincoln-Mercury.

The nice thing is the car is nearly original, but unfortunately worn out in many areas. I cannot seem to find any modifications to the car besides tires and miscellaneous parts that needed repair over the years. I believe my car was optioned as a Dan Gurney Special - it has the window sticker and the original Turbine wheel covers, but I have to check out the VIN number to prove it. I do know that this Cougar came with a 302 cubic inch Ford engine, automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, console, deluxe interior, black vinyl top, and remote mirror.

In the first 5 months I have had the car I have only been able to do a few things to the car. I started a tuneup: changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, pcv valve, spark plugs, & spark plug wires. There is much more work to do! The transmission needs to be rebuilt and the rear end is off kilter and sits higher on one side. The obvious body and paint work, replacing many worn out items, and my plan is to change the interior from blue to black.

Check back for more updates on "Jack"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the final body color going to be?
David

Anonymous said...

It ain't no General Lee, but it will do. How ya doing man?