Across the street and down a block or two from work is an antique mall in an old Kroger store. This is one of those huge antique malls with booths of miscellaneous items and some dedicated to specific things. One of the booths I obviously like is one dedicated to records. This booth has all vinyl and has both LP's and 45 RPM records. I found a few for the jukebox there a while back. Here are some records that I found on Friday - all for $3 each.
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Here's a blistering version of the title track filmed at Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ on September 19,1978

Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen - Lost In The Ozone
Peter, Paul & Mary - (self titled)
Peter, Paul & Mary - In The Wind
George Carlin - FM/AM
Sammy Hagar - Standing Hampton
Stan Freberg - The United States Of America Vol 1: The Early Years
If you've never heard of Stan Freberg take a listen to the album through a series of videos on You Tube. Funny stuff!
In another booth I found a used copy of Goo [Deluxe Edition] - Sonic Youth. I was just talking about buying this version a day or so before with Mary and here I found a used copy in great condition for almost half of what I would pay for a new copy. Yes!
I was very excited to find the copy of Darkness On The Edge Of Town since my wife and I will be seeing Springteen & The E Street Band on Sunday night. However, I was more excited to find the Sammy Hagar album. This might seem strange, but I have a method to the madness here. If you have lived in the St. Louis area at some point in your life post 1974 you have likely been issued a copy of a Sammy Hagar record. It's the law! In an issue of Creem magazine I once saw Hagar wearing a KSHE 95 t-shirt on in concert! Hagar got his "Red Rocker" moniker in St. Louis, plays concerts in honor of KSHE birthday parties, he wins when the station does a March bandness game (read: NCAA Final Four brackets w/ bands and voting) and even has a Cabo Wabo bar at a local casino. I owned Standing Hampton on tape when I was young, but I'm sure that got sold a long time ago when I was getting rid of my tapes. Lately, I have been doing research on albums and release dates and I found that this album came out on October 23, 1981. Here I was 28 years to the day later buying a copy of the album again.
After I got the records home and inspected them a little closer - something I should have done at the store - I was disappointed to find that the Commander Cody album had the wrong record inside the sleeve. It was a live record by Commander Cody from 1974. Bummer.
On Saturday, my wife, daughter, and I went to a resale shop in O'Fallon, IL and I found a copy of Rickie Lee Jones self titled first album for $1! By the way...if anyone is interested that store has most of the albums ever released by Mac Davis for $1. I can tell you where they are if you are a big Mac Davis fan or feel the need to go get them.





No comments:
Post a Comment