Tuesday, December 01, 2009

A New Guitar (or How I Talked Myself Into A Deal With The Devil)

I have been researching buying an electric guitar for a while now. When I say a while...I mean it. I have been to the stores by myself and with my wife.  I have researched online at various sites. I wanted to buy a guitar that was Made in the U.S.A. and from a local guitar store.

I have always wanted a Rickenbacker because I love artists like The Beatles, The Who, The Byrds, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, and R.E.M. who have used them extensively over the years. However, it's hard to justify the price tag - north of $1400. Rickenbackers are Made in the U.S.A. which I love, but I still think that I need to play a little better to justify the expense.

Pete Townsend circa 1966 with collection of Rickenbacker guitars

Back in October, I went to Mojo's Music and tried out some Rickenbackers.  After playing my acoustic and trying out various Telecasters (both Fenders and G & L) my hands were uncomfortable around the narrow neck of the Rickenbacker 330 and 360.  This bummed me completely because they are one of the coolest looking guitars on the planet. Then, just before I left I decided to try a 12 string 620 and my heart leaped because it was comforatable. The neck is a little wider at the nut and just right for me. The owner advised they had a 6 string version of the 620 coming in soon that I could try and he could put my name on the list and call me when it came in.

Rickenbacker 620

Back on November 18th, I received a call that the Rickenbacker 620 had come in - Jetglo (black) with a gold pick guard. The price was $1775 and it was still in the box. Ooooooh!  I finally made it to the store last Monday. I played the guitar and I loved it. I was surprised at how light the guitar felt for a solid body. However, my mind started back toward the price. Even with birthday and Christmas money from my parents grandmother, and us I don't think I would make it close to $1775 plus tax.  I didn't buy it or put it on layaway. I just walked away. Not this time.

The thoughts about money brought me back to the Fender Telecaster. For most guitarists this one is a must have in the arsenal. For some this is a signature type guitar (James Burton, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Cropper, Merle Haggard, etc.), but for others it's a necessary tool to have when the need arises. I, however, am just looking for an affordable, fun to play, classic electric guitar that I will love today and keep around for a while - if not forever.

About a year ago I found that Fender was making an American Vintage '52 Reissue Telecaster. These are also Made in the U.S.A. I played one everywhere I could find one - Guitar Center, Eddie's Guitars, Fazio's, Swing City Music.  I loved it. The guitar comes in Butterscotch with a nitrocelluose finish over an Ash body and maple fretboard. However, the price got me again - north of $1300.  There were other options though - a Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline, an Artist Series Joe Stummer Telecaster, or introduced this year a Road Worn '50's Telecaster. All three of these guitars are produced in Fender's plant in Mexico. The last couple are new guitars that are made to look worn and used - the look of playing them for years.

I wanted to try out the different Telecasters and play them through the same amp so I could hear the difference in sound from one guitar to another.  Yesterday, my research began again. I started looking online at the Fender site. I started looking at the Telecasters and found the different guitars I was looking for, but I couldn't find the Joe Strummer Telecaster on the website.  With a little more research I found that other sites like Sweetwater and Musician's Friend were saying it had been discontinued. Uh oh.

At lunch time I wanted to continue my research and went to Guitar Center as it's close to work and they have a reasonably good selection. They still had a Joe Strummer Telecaster on display plus the others I wanted to try except for the Road Worn '50's Telecaster. I played the American Vintage '52 Reissue, the Classic Series '72 Thinline, and the Strummer through a Fender Twin Reverb.

American Vintage '52 Telecaster

The American Vintage '52 reissue was my favorite - just a beautiful guitar with the dipped in honey look of the Butterscotch.  The Ash body made the guitar bright and the maple neck was very nice. However, the price was $1494. Not a bad price for an American made guitar, but still ouch.

Artist Series Joe Strummer Telecaster

The Strummer was next - a little different than than the '52 reissue; a little more power and only $599 (with a hardshell case!). A replica of the 1966 Telecaster that Joe Strummer bought in the mid-1970's. Nice lows and great highs with a little crunch. A very worn, seasoned look with the rusty chrome knobs and bridge over the weathered Alder body with thin paint and polyurethane coating. A rosewood fingerboard over a "well used" maple neck with rusty looking tuners. Other details like the Revolution Rock backplate just finished it off nicely. The guitar exuded a cool look.

Strummer Telecaster Bridge and Knobs detail

Strummer Telecaster backplate detail

The '72 Thinline was my least favorite; I liked the look, but I just don't like the humbuckers.

I talked to a salesman again and went over the options. Fender was having a 10% off deal from 11/27 to 11/30 - this was the last day. The Strummer Telecaster was $599, but would only be $540 + tax with after the discount. As I mentioned this included a Fender black hardshell case!  Plus, they had one in the back that was still in the box - not the display model!!

Joe Strummer with his 1966 Fender Telecaster

I had done my homework - the Road Worn '50's Telecaster was about $800 to $1000 and didn't come with a hardshell case, but a deluxe gig bag. I had heard that the Strummer was the first Road Worn guitar that was made in the Mexican plant.  I liked the fact that the Road Worn '50's Telecaster was Ash w/ a maple neck, but I just couldn't see spending $300 to $400 more plus another $150 for a hardshell case.

On the way back to work I called Fazio's and asked if they had a Strummer Telecaster in stock. I wanted to buy a guitar from a local music store rather than a chain. They checked and they did and wanted $1200 for the same guitar! With the 10% off it would have still been over $1000! I advised that on the price that I just saw at Guitar Center. The guy put me on hold and discussed and then came back and questioned if the Guitar Center model was made in Korea instead of Mexico. Damn! I had never looked! I left a message for the manager at Fazio's (he never called back). Then, I called Guitar Center back and asked if their version of the Strummer was made in Mexico and the salesman confirmed that it was. WHEW!

I called Eddie's Guitars about the American Vintage '52 reissue (they don't sell Mexican made Fenders) and they said they could beat the Guitar Center price, but I knew it would still be over $1300.  I just couldn't do it.  My desire for a guitar Made in the USA was fading.

After I got back to work I called my and discussed this whole massacre including the five part harmony with her.  She was on board since we had talked about using Christmas money for a guitar anyway. Great! Then, I talked to my wife's brother and he agreed that the Strummer Telecaster was the best deal. I called the salesman back at Guitar Center and asked him to hold the one in the box as I would be there after work to buy the one in the box.

So, I did not want to buy a guitar that was NOT Made In The U.S.A. - I caved.  I did not want to buy a guitar at Guitar Center - I caved. However, I got a nice sounding, classic guitar that plays well with a hardshell case for under $600. Hopefully, my deal with the devil goes okay. If only I did this much work before shopping at Wal-Mart.

No comments: