Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The Fun Is In The Hunt...And The Deal

Two new albums that I have anticipating this spring were being released today. At lunch I went looking for these new releases and see if there were any other deals. My friend Eric gave me money if I found the new album by The Hold Steady and I headed out into the beautiful weather.

I first went to Best Buy and they had a couple of the albums I was looking for but not everything on the list.  This particular location has consolidated their racks in the last few weeks and you can tell they aren't ordering as much stock.  The selection is not as bad as Borders, but it's not very good either.

After walking around Best Buy a while I decided to leave without buying anything and head over to Target. I parked at the edge of the parking lot and walked past all the stay at home moms to the electronics department. My expectations were low going in, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

Court Yard Hounds - S/T [Columbia] - $9.99 (for Mary)
The Hold Steady - Heaven Is Everywhere [Vagrant] - $9.99
Minus The Bear - Omni [Dangerbird] - $6.99
The New Pornographers - Together [Matador] - $7.99
She And Him - Volume Two [Merge] - $9.99

The Court Yard Hounds and The New Pornographers records at Best Buy were $11.99 each.  I checked Amazon and found I could have saved $2 each on The Hold Steady and Court Yard Hounds albums but would have spent $5.00 more on the Minus The Bear album so I actually saved $1.00 - pre-tax of course.  Besides I also picked up greeting cards for Mother's Day...something I would never buy online.

Overall, not bad for brick and mortar. Now if I could only buy these albums that cheaply at my favorite record stores instead of the box stores.

No comments: