Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Bob!

Today is Bob Dylan's 69th birthday so I felt compelled to go to my favorite independent record store, Euclid Records, and get a Dylan album that I didn't already own and check out what else was interesting.  On my drive to the store I was listening to Dylan's Tell Tale Signs release from The Bootleg Series on my iPod. An alternate version of "Most Of The Time" came up that I really liked so I thought I might look for his Oh Mercy album or possibly Slow Train Coming, Infidels or Before The Flood. As always I could have walked out of there with a stack of LP's and used CD's and dropped a few hundred dollars, but I restrained myself and only bought a few. Here's what I picked up...

Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms - $11.99 [New]
The Bottlerockets - Zoyzia - $8.99 [Used]
Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy - $8.99 [New]
The Hold Steady - Boys And Girls In America $8.99 [Used]
The Police - Ghost In The Machine [Remastered] - $7.99 [Used]
Silver Jews - Tanglewood Numbers $7.99 [Used]

I was excited to find The Hold Steady album as I only had a digital copy at home.  I was also excited to find the new Band Of Horses album for a reasonable price and I finally got the last Police album that I needed to replace my old CD copies with the remastered versions.

After I got in the car and headed back to work I was looking at the condition of the used compact discs that I had bought. When I opened up the cover on the Police album I noticed that I had not received the right disc in the package.  The clerk had given my Jerry Garcia's album Run For The Roses (Arista, 1982) instead.  When I got back to work I called and told them about the mistake and they apologized and advised that I could come back in and switch out when I was back in the neighborhood.

While I have been a longtime fan of the Grateful Dead I have never gotten around to checking out their solo work. So after I got home I made sure to download the Garcia album into iTunes so I could listen it to it soon.

All and all a good trip.

No comments: